Today, we are releasing the latest version of Lightworks for Windows: 11.1. The last Beta Build (11.1.L) proved very important in helping resolve two major issues with the new ELS licensing and a memory issue. We are pleased to announce that the 11.1 Windows Release is now live!
The last few months, we have been setting about tackling the remaining issues customers have faced using Lightworks. The biggest of all these was our current licensing system (Sentinel HASP) This has caused problems during installation, activation and simply starting the application, all of which gives a negative customer experience. We are pleased to announce that this licensing has now been removed and replaced with our own EditShare Licensing Service (ELS) This same licensing service has been trialled over the last couple of months with great success in the Linux Alpha/Beta versions.
Users now sign in to the application using their LWKS.com username and password; an internet connection MUST be present on the system. Any existing licenses still yet to expire on the current release build of Lightworks will be honoured in the new ELS system. The user simply signs in to the new version entering their username and password, and their existing license(s) will appear in the list for them to activate (Pro and AVID DNxHD).
The new ELS licensing has some limitations.
- Users will not be able to detach a license from one system to another. To get around this, any user that purchases Lightworks Pro will be given a Pro license that can be used on two different systems.
- There is no concurrent network licensing system in place. If a user has a Pro activation that has 4 concurrent users, this will show as a Pro license in ELS that can be used 5 times on separate systems.
- There is currently no way of canceling a license and moving it to another system.
- There is currently no “Offline” activation method. Users MUST have an internet connection present on the system they have installed Lightworks on. (The internet connection may be removed once the software has been activated.)
- Virtual machines are not currently supported.
To coincide with the new release and the new licensing, we are introducing for the first time a 30 day Pro Trial license, allowing users to experience the full power of Lightworks Pro. The 30 day trial can only be used once on a system and is not renewable. When the user signs in to the application, they will be offered the chance to try the Pro version for 30 days, or continue using the Free version of Lightworks. Once the 30 day trial expires, the software will revert to the Free version.
Thank you for using Lightworks!